View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 07:24 PM   #9
eyrie

Australia
Re: Ukemi for hiji shime/rokkyo

Quote:
Soon-Kian Phang wrote: View Post
From what little I know, there are 'standard' ukemi for certain locks... e.g. for nikkyo, relax, bend your elbow and move towards tori's center, for sankyo, spin with the lock... these ukemi allow the body to accept these locks (i.e. ukemi), and in a way, mitigate the pain... I would be grateful if someone could share the ukemi for hiji shime/rokkyo
Rokkyo/Hiji shime (wakigatame) is an armpit armlock/take down technique - the idea being to drop the person to the ground (thru the elbow/shoulder) and put them in a ground hold, where they are face down on the floor and their free hand is away from you. Once you're in that position, there ain't much you can do.... except maybe tap out before your elbow pops.

The only way for uke to receive a properly applied wakigatame is to do a front breakfall (NOT a forward roll - a BREAKFALL). So, to me, allowing yourself to get into a submission hold like that, whilst great for nage learning how to apply the technique, serves little to help uke... front breakfalls can be taught in under a minute, although it might take longer for most to overcome their fear of falling, particularly while someone is trying to "do something" to them.

However, I don't really think there is such a thing as "standard" ukemi. Even if you're talking about some generally prescribed method to receive the technique - as a way to mitigate the pain, or to "safely receive" or even better, to "escape" and "counter" - there is nothing "standard" about it... it depends... there are a myriad ways to do these things.

Just so you have a better idea of what I'm rabbitting on about, let's go back to a definition of "ukemi", which is to receive (with the) body. In any case, being relaxed is only ONE aspect of being able to receive.... a small part only, but an important part nonetheless. The question is... what do you do BEFORE, DURING or AFTER receiving it?

What's wrong with using something like aiki-otoshi (sukui nage) or gedanate as a way to "receive" it??? Uke is nage, nage is uke right?

Ignatius