View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 03:11 PM   #21
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Sword work, internal skill, & "Aiki"

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Which process is not going to really be words on the internet, though... for one thing. For another thing, the obvious lack of success with what many westerners *thought* was traditional training (perhaps too quickly) more than strongly suggests that the perceived "process" needs to be examined.
Any forum for ideas is a part of development. As I see it that is part of the examination of the process that occurs here. Obviously, you do too. I don't deny the value of examination, I just don't see that making a foregone conclusion is warranted nor that your experience of it is a valid or adequate representation of mine or others. As to the remainder of what is obvious or not, I will not try to unpack your implicit assumptions. We don't need a further 1500 post thread.

Quote:
Oh, pooh. The elements of the ki/kokyu skills, etc., permeate Asian martial arts. The idea that this stuff is unique to Aikido and Daito Ryu is flabbergasting, given how many demonstrations of the same "ki tricks" are found in every city in Asia with a decent martial arts school.
So, why is everyone so entranced by the demonstration of those parlor tricks that O Sensei deigned not to teach. I do not get the impression that Sagawa or Kimura were much interested in the transmission of showmanship either. Nor am I.

Quote:
The near-mystical perspective of correct training of these basic skills and how hard it is to do is simply overwhelmed by the numbers. Following some "traditional rituals" with the idea that "one day it will come" doesn't sound very encouraging, particularly when Ueshiba himself seems to have been involved in teaching a few people the essence of these skills in only a matter of months (supposedly).
Who are you arguing with? Not me, since I said none of that. Numbers? Bring 'em on baby! Preferably, the high hard ones. I like the physics, remember? Not preaching it either, just describing an approach to the mechanics. Do what works for you. I just don't discount other ways of thinking about the problems as long as they are effective. I've never felt the need to be encouraged. I don't excuse sloppy practice on that account, either.

Kimura acknowledges that there is a partial revelation of aiki that is only fully developed through further extension from some techniques and eventually through all technique as a process of progressive development that takes"considerable time." Moreover, please note that he assumes the aiki, once partially realized, will progressively be fully realized through the vehicle of technique. The tradition is not so far out on a limb here, I think.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.