View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 12:12 PM   #55
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: Ellis Amdur's Post on Aikido Journal

This thread kind of reminds me of people arguing that there is only one path to the top of Mt. Everest.

I think that we all can assume that there is some underlying level of Ki/Jin that people need to be able to display in order to perform an art to a level that people would describe as being an "internal art." I would argue that there needs to be some baseline natural physical abilities that a person would have to have. That person would then have to be exposed to good teaching in how to develop that "internal capacity." That person would have to practice those skills diligently. This would seem to apply regardless of the art being studied.

I think one of Stanley Pranin's greatest contributions to our art has been that he exposed us, via the Aiki Expos, to other arts, some without any link to D.R., which reflected deep understanding in, and ability to utilize those "internal principles."

I would think that it would not matter if my training came from Ushiro Sensei, the head of Systema, Koroda Sensei, my main teacher, Kondo Sensei, Mike, or Dan. As long as I was able to further develop my "internal skill sets" and could then apply them to my execution of Aikido, what difference would it make if I had never studied D.R..

I agree with Mike that this has become a fruitless argument. I would much rather learn from some of you how you evolved to where you have gotten and how that has changed your ability to do your chosen art. The overlap of the skill sets that I find in many of these accomplished martial artists with a high level of Ki/Jin development is what I look for in helping in my development in Aikido. Many of you have much to offer us in this regards.

Marc Abrams