View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 02:36 AM   #181
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

Hi all,
initially I did not intend to step in into another of these threads.

But there maybe some new thoughts, which just touched my mind.

While it is hardly to get really comparative people, lets say we could find some pairs of equivalent BJJ fighters and Aikidoka, same age, size, weight, strength, duration and intensiveness of training.

If youget organised a tournament, probably in 80% of the fights, BJJ guys win. Could be more, could be less. On the street the figures could be higher or lower, I won't bet, but probably virtually the same.

Grade is not a good measure as BJJ promotes for tournament success, aikido not. So even if the the training would prepare both the same, the selection in BJJ would prefer good fighters rather than aikido, where you could reach far with only minimum of fighting skills.

But why is it relevant? In tournaments usually Aikidoka do not attend. On the street it is unlikely that an Aikido master would attack a BJJ master. I am not sure about the other way. Is here anyone, who could tell me, if BJJ trains burglars, muggers or hooligans to mastership?

And yet another idea. Let's assume an extreme situation - and I do not care, if it is realistic as it is just a mind experience.

So if there is a well skilled Aikdioka participating in a MMA tournament. He does not even think about throwing or pinning the counterpart but avoids virtually any contact. So whom ever he would meet in this tournament, he had taken probably a few punches without any effect, and the others just fell over out of balance from time to time. In the end the aikidoka is still in quit good condition, while his partners are exhausted. How far would he have come? Or if it was an each-vs-each-tournament, where woild he be in the end? Probably disqualified for not fighting or right at the end for not scoring, I guess.

BJJ fighters seek to win.That is what they train for. That is why they choose BJJ (most of them) and that is where they are good.

Most Aikidoka have other goals. That is why most aikidoka are not very good in fight. Many of them (us) rather dance than fight. But if your goal is not to win, but to survive and to protect even your foes, then you create other skills. We can argue another 1000 times, if aikido is really teaching one of these goals. For me personally in my risk environment the aikido we train fits (nearly) perfectly. If I were somewhere else, it might have to be different. As BJJ fighters change there training according to the next tournament they plan to attend, the aikido training has to be adapted to the needs.

There is a general aikido training, which fits for most participants, but even this might change, if you have a dojo in Sao Paolo suburbs for adolescent students or in an Amish country site. And you need special training for military needs, law enforcements, street workers, teachers even depending on the school, or management coaching. If it is all in the spirit of budo as the "Path of Protection", it is aikido and the technical part is irrelevant. You can choose, whatever is applicable.

Peace and (active) harmony

Dirk