View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 01:42 AM   #179
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

Quote:
Keith Lee wrote: View Post
So whether someone is a 4 kyu or 2nd dan in Aikido, doesn't really make much of a difference to me. Again, (and I think lots of Aikido people miss this point and just get hung up on BJJ) it's not that BJJ and it's techniques are better or anything. Someone trained in BJJ, wrestling, boxing, etc. is more likely to be effective because they train and compete in a "alive" environment where they regularly encounter resistance and learn how to overcome it. In cooperative practice, you are never going to have that opportunity.
No I only pulled your quote for reference...it was not anything personal, etc...just to give context at the end of the long thread as I stopped not long after reading your post and had no clue where it twisted (the thread) at the end.

Yes, 'aliveness'. Thats interesting, and what I am seeing that is setting apart where I do aikido. Im not saying its 100% alive at all times...especially for beginners - but there is a degree of aliveness and even expected - our 2nd kyu left with bruises at the seminar, as well as myself. Again, Im not going to say its on the same line as BJJ, as its not fully 'alive', but I am grateful for the life thats in it.

Peace

Dalen