View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 06:11 AM   #78
DH
United_States
Re: Understanding fascia and tensegrity

Al

The monks that could be easily pushed over from a living or moving center is a good example of just what WE have been talking about.
People here continually get confused over a static training device/method and their brains go on neutral and they don't even hear the rest.

I am only concerned with skills that can be utilized under pressure and in motion. That said, thee single best method to developing a living center? Stillness. Then solo training drills.
Then and only then do you concern yourself with mastering it in motion. There is a thousand year history of this training method in all of the Asian arts we admire. The stories of solo retreats "to train" are so numerous they get boring. Just what do ya suppose they were doing out there, all by themselves?

Aiki
Aiki is not something you "do" in "response' passively. Nor is it something you "do" forcefully. From training, your motions become captured aiki in you. Therefore your motions have balanced intent. Contact with anything then creates potentials for aiki in motion. When you have retained structure in you- your body becomes unnaturally sensitive to structure in others. Think of thier motions coming in contact with a large distribution system. Your body receives and sends their power, absorbs and projects at will. What you don't address is the increased ability to generate power in strikes, particularly from short distances. If you are of a grappling bent these skills become a handy skill.

Unless you have mastered it in you-you'll never master it in moving connections. And, as the years go by, I still train solo; every, single, day. But don't take my word for it, read my tag line. The fully expressed quote from Sagawa says something like people would not believe the work that he does every day to master his body, and that most would find it too daunting. Most have noted, that many in aiki arts considered Sagawa one of the true masters of aiki if not thee best alive in his time.
The work he outlined as his best training method was? Solo training.
His goals in training?
Application-in- motion

Techniques
Techniques become secondary in concern. Pick a couple of different arts and go train them. You may be surprised at how you "suddenly understand" varous arts waza, both faster, and better as you move along.

Last edited by DH : 07-24-2007 at 06:24 AM.