View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #46
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Aikido Techniques are Weapons Techniques

I understand the argument. An empty hand is just another weapon, so a weapon system can just deal with it as thus. I'd likely buy that argument; if I hadn't fought as much as I have.

Here's the thing, when you engage in conflict with another person, every little advantage you get counts. This is why we spend hours making sure we turn our hips just so, and move in at the right angles. It's why weight classes in competitive things are often less then 10 lb. different. Small things count, and multiple small things count a lot.

Now in a non weapon conflict, I can "round the edges" quite a bit. In an unarmed fight it is superior to cover the body (like a boxer does) for a strike then it is to block or blend with it. In an armed fight, a cover means getting wounded, likely severely. Now if I'm fighting a skilled unarmed fighter, and he's trained in methods of body covering, and I expect to blend with every strike, he's going to destroy me.

Unarmed methods of fighting are striped down to the essentials of what you need to do in an unarmed fight. In an unarmed system, you can simply grab some ones core, and pull them down (a la Greco-Roman wrestling). This will get you killed in an armed confrontation, putting on a waist lock is just begging to get stabbed.

In Aikido we train methods that are ideal for weapon conflict. We don't do waist locks, bear hugs, head locks ect. Because those things are too dangerous when facing an armed attacker, and to easy to escape when you are armed. Aikido techniques don't afford themselves the "edge rounding" that unarmed techniques do.

So if you try and use the methods we practice in Aikido in an unarmed fight, you will simply be out passed. You cannot keep up (unarmed) with a guy using an unarmed system. He can do all of his techniques faster and more surely then you can.

The beauty of this is that the opposite is also true. If he tries his unarmed methods against an armed attacker, he would quickly see why we (Aikidoka) don't practice those methods. Even if he gets in past the initial cut or strike, his headlock, or body lock is going to get him stabbed.