View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 08:01 AM   #1061
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
Dalen Johnson wrote: View Post
So that answers the first 2 questions quoted above.

As far as its techniques not working...well, let me put it this way.
When I am put in 'ikkyo' I feel it...Nikkyo, sankyo, name it, I feel it - and sometimes I feel it a little to much.

Also, you learn to go with the flow or you will be 'broke' if you resist.
Thats why it looks fake, because someone who has wised up (or been taught as in Aikido) will know to 'follow' as not to resist and have your wrist or elbow snapped in half.
The question is not does this lock break your wrist, or can an eye gouge really blind someone. The answers are obvious. We all know what can happen when you put a lock on and don't stop, you break something or tear something. The question is, can you actually get those moves to work on a person who is resisting. Not resisting after you have the lock, but resisting from the moment the conflict starts. Can you get it to work on a guy trying his best to knock your block off. Can you get it to work on fast guys, slow guys, big guys, little guys, trained guys, noobs, etc.

Once you answer that question, the next is, how reliable is your technique. Does it work 10% of the time? 20% of the time? Only against noobs, only against bigger people, only against slower people? Is there something else that is higher percentage that you can use in the same place?

In bjj I can do all sorts of cool stuff to noobs. However a lot of this cool stuff is very hit or miss and requires a lot of setup to work on a guy with even 6 months of bjj. I then have to ask, is it worth all this work and setup when they are vulnerable to a much higher percentage attack? Am I just trying to look cool?

I have to say it is not if the style works, it is if you train it to work. The more I read this article http://www.judoinfo.com/tomiki2.htm the more I realize that without aliveness, you are mostly spinning your wheels.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein