View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 05:17 PM   #149
Aristeia
New Zealand
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

Quote:
Paul Sanderson-Cimino wrote: View Post
Right -- I was thinking maybe some sort of nuisance maneuver like pushing the neck or jaw. But anyway, it was just an idea; I think it was probably not a good one.

It's sort of sad how happy it would make me to be able to pull off aikido waza somewhat reliably in free grappling. There are definitely times when I wish I'd never done aikido, because now I like the art too much to just drop it, as bizarre as that might sound. In the meantime, I guess the best thing to do is keep working at it.
Hey mate, relax. If you like the art - there is no reason to drop it. At the end of the day almost no one is practicing martial arts to go out and kick peoples asses or enter full contact fighting. That being the case the only question to ask is "what do I enjoy doing". If you enjoy Aikido, keep doing aikido. If you want more resistance, do bjj or a live art. If you want to try that approach with aikido - do some experimentation. Personally I really enjoyed training in both BJJ and Aikido at the same time, both for their similarities and their differences.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"