View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 12:53 PM   #1388
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Source? It's a freakin' metaphor, for chrissake. You don't even have a remote clue how to do reeling-silk exercises or what reeling-silk jin is and you'll devote post after post to insisting some superficial blurb you read in a book by some wants-to-appear-knowledgeable writer is credible. Give us the source's name and let's compare him/her's credentials to Chen Xiao Wang's.
Adam Hsu was the first writer I read who mentioned it. And I've never seen anything that substantially contradicts him. Even Chen's material all says "silk reeling" that I've seen. Show me something different. Otherwise...you...are....just....asserting

Quote:
I've never seen anything from Chen Xiao Wang himself showing those kinds of standard illustrations and I tend to read everything he and a number of others put out.
Then you should easily be able to quote and link to the quote where CXW says anything different...shouldn't you? You demand it from everyone else.

Quote:
[This is insanity. You'll argue any topic, even one you've blatantly been shown not to have even superficial knowledge about, to the bitter end.
You are the one who has reversed yourself on this topic, not I. And my main point is that it's not part of JMA. You've never shown that it is though you've tried to substitute other things and you've done your best to distort the translation....

Quote:
[And incidentally, the "don't break the thread strand" stuff is one "common consumption" explanation that is seen, but there are indications it's an after-the-fact reaction to the metaphor and that it may wrongly focus on the "silk".
Let's see..."there are indications...." that's a powerful citation of source. And the source of those "indications" is....Mike's opinion???? We've seen how you skim over material, pick out a word you think you understand and build a whole schematic from that. And you've proven that you will distort concepts to keep from appearing incorrect about something...So I don't see any reason to take your protestations too seriously.

Quote:
"Silk" is an old and well-known martial reference to the fascia, as well, and "fascia winding exercises" is a very accurate way of describing what's going on.
Could be conceivable...but what's still fishy is the outward resemblance to the actual work of reeling silk, the fact that these concepts arose in a silk manufacturing culture and the rest, and your continuing insistence that there is no relation between the two--that in fact, it refers to the worm making the silk.

You really should join some sort of clinical trial, but I don't think there is one for your very unusual condition.

Good luck with all that.

David

Last edited by David Orange : 07-11-2007 at 12:55 PM.

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.davidorangejr.com