View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 12:53 PM   #25
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
One of the first armbar setups I ever learned was from inside the guard.
I've actually been shown this, I think. Not very good at it yet, though. Right now, I'm trying to develop some skill at getting a simple kimura from guard.

Quote:
I understand how you feel about using aikido in grappling. I try it every day.
Maddening, isn't it? Aikido seems like such a well-developed and sophisticated system, but it seems so much worse performance-wise than anything else. I'm not sure how to reconcile these two things.

I think that Chris Hein's argument that it's about retaining a weapon is persuasive...but in addition to having no real experience doing that kind of live practice, I'm also suspicious of saying that techniques will magically start working better than judo/BJJ if you put a knife in one person's hand, or strap a sword at your waist. It seems like even if they're optimized for weapons, they should function empty-handed.

Another theory I'm considering (not mutually exclusive with the weapons one) is that aikido isn't so much a standalone, foundation art as it is an advanced study for people already competent in judo and grappling. There's some historic evidence for this, in the biographies of aikido greats.

Quote:
The highest success I've had is with wrist locks.
Are you thinking from standup or from on the mat?

Last edited by Paul Sanderson-Cimino : 07-09-2007 at 01:03 PM.