View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 11:53 AM   #25
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

Don Magee wrote: View Post
One of the first armbar setups I ever learned was from inside the guard.
I've actually been shown this, I think. Not very good at it yet, though. Right now, I'm trying to develop some skill at getting a simple kimura from guard.

I understand how you feel about using aikido in grappling. I try it every day.
Maddening, isn't it? Aikido seems like such a well-developed and sophisticated system, but it seems so much worse performance-wise than anything else. I'm not sure how to reconcile these two things.

I think that Chris Hein's argument that it's about retaining a weapon is persuasive...but in addition to having no real experience doing that kind of live practice, I'm also suspicious of saying that techniques will magically start working better than judo/BJJ if you put a knife in one person's hand, or strap a sword at your waist. It seems like even if they're optimized for weapons, they should function empty-handed.

Another theory I'm considering (not mutually exclusive with the weapons one) is that aikido isn't so much a standalone, foundation art as it is an advanced study for people already competent in judo and grappling. There's some historic evidence for this, in the biographies of aikido greats.

The highest success I've had is with wrist locks.
Are you thinking from standup or from on the mat?

Last edited by Paul Sanderson-Cimino : 07-09-2007 at 12:03 PM.