View Single Post
Old 04-06-2002, 06:59 AM   #22
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: Aiki Spirit

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Li
For the most part, when Daito-ryu folks talk about "aiki" they're making a technical reference...
Whe I started to read The Way to Union with Ki by K. Tohei, I realized he was talking about the cosmic or philisophical level, rather than the individual and technical level of aiki, that I'm used to. So its not only Daito-ryu folks who think like that. Perhaps Morihei Ueshiba's use of the term was new at that time, but I personally don't see this as a difference today.

BTW can you buy the Japanese version of Tohei's book? The English version is only sold to KS members so far. If you can, what is the price? I thought you might know since you're in Japan.
Quote:

...They're close enough that, IMO, if M. Ueshiba had kept the name Daito-ryu nobody would have thought it odd (in the technical sense)...
We're not living in individual villages, developing our own styles of martial arts. People get out and train with each other. I'm sure Aiki-jitsu and Aikido will inspire each other as long as people train in both arts. Perhaps this is the reason they both look so much alike today.
Quote:
I didn't say involved, I said not "complacent". So far as I know there was never any "agreement" between the two...
I think we're talking pass each other here. The only agreement I was talking about was the fact that both Takeda and M. Ueshiba agreed that the founder's practice should be called something other than Daito-ryu Aiki-jitsu. This has nothing to do with their long-term relationship.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You