View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #1267
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
<snip>

I can comment on some general *basic* themes, and would be glad to go into more detail off-line. Many of our kata involve exaggerated twisting motions between the upper and lower halves of the body. These tiwsting movements do not however lead to circular movements like you would expect from aikido, but those internal twists are almost always released in very linear movements. An analogy (basic, simple minded, gross, naive, whatever...) to the simple kick that Ark and Rob have demonstrated where a torsion or potential torsion can be released outwards in a straight line.
<snip>
Ok, just to clear up some stuff, that torison that Ark and I were talking about was "torque" in the body. Its the thing that Dan described where you torque the two centers against each other creating an internal tension which you can direct.

It isn't silk reeling, as far as I know, just another method of internal manipulation. In a sense it's a "quick n dirty" way to generate internal tension. There is a "spiral" nature to it that eventually gets refined, but I do believe its fundamentally different from what Mike has been talking about since it isn't necessarily sourced from the lower dantien.