Old 06-29-2007, 12:37 PM   #11
Irv Lachow
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
United_States
Re: Daito Ryu Aiki Jujutsu Seminar at Aikido of Northern Virginia

Quote:
Stephen Kotev wrote: View Post
Hi Adam,

Take Tenchi Nage for example; you can take a sitfall, forward roll, or backward roll off this technique in Aikido. I still have to fall but I have a choice of what kind of fall I take. You have the choice between the three. In most throws that I have experienced Uke has the option to vary their body movement to take different types of falls. My experience at this seminar was that I had no choice -- my body was being manipulated so that I had to take a breakfall from Shiho Nage -- I did not make any decisions my structure was manipulated till I had to fall. I could not take a front roll out of it or slip my hips to take a sitfall. I had to take a breakfall. I know it may sound similar but it's very different. Many of the falls that Gino took were breakfalls; I rarely saw any forward tumbles. The Daito Ryu techniques took place at a very close distance and the uke was dropped not thrown. I think that's a big difference -- vertical drop vs. horizontal throw.

There was also a difference in kuzushi -- In my experience it seemed easier for uke to regain their balance from a botched Aikido technique than from a botched Daito Ryu technique. It seems that it's easier to break connection with Nage in Aikido than Tori in Daito Ryu. Once I was locked in/connected to Goldberg Sensei -- it was all over -- no deciding just waiting for the drop. I have worked with many beginners what will turn away and not continue to attack once you tenkan -- they have the choice to continue to follow.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Stephen
Stephen,
Thanks for the great description of the event. I think that you captured all of the key aspects that made it a wonderful experience. I would like throw (pardon the pun) my support behind what you said about the throws and falls. It is hard to understand this without feeling it, but you are exactly right that Goldberg Sensei made it practically impossible for uke to do anything but take the fall (almost always a break fall) in a very specific way. In some cases, I think that a useful analogy might be taken from judo. If someone is doing a major hip throw on you and they've got you off balance, on your toes, and sitting on their hip, you don't have much choice about what to do next. That's what the aiki-jutsu felt like, except with aikido-like techniques. Goldbert would take your balance immediately and then manipulate your body (focusing on your center of course) so that you had to take a very fast breakfall or else risk serious injury. Many of the falls were literally done right over your feet with little horizontal movement. It was amazing to watch and even better to feel (albeit a bit scary at first). Goldberg also showed aiki-jutsu varients of things like yanko and kotegeishe (forgive the spelling) that he felt were more effective than the aikido versions. Although I'm loathe to make judgments on such things, I'd have to agree that his approach seemed extremely effective.

If any of you have a chance to work with Goldberg Sensei, I highly recommend it.