View Single Post
Old 04-02-2002, 08:49 AM   #11
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Wing Tsung vs Aikido

Accept sparring practice for what it is, trying to score hits, then learning to apply what you learn with angle and direction in kata to creating pain/ damage with those moves. It is one thing to have the charted points of a strike poster, it is another thing to have the knowledge to put them to use.

I was interested in learning Wing Chung (the wrong spelling, but sometimes written this way) in the first two years of Kempo Karate/ Jujitsu. I think my teacher was the first to start to incorporate some Krav Magaw,too, from Israel in 1992, at least around NJ/NY area?

Wing Chung was supposed to be a five year study to make warriors ready for battle vs ten to twenty years in other MA? At least that was what I was taught and read in my studies. It didn't take in some of the advanced/ longterm studies of offense/defense but based it priority on centerline and short sword or small weapons. There are many good points that are not covered in other arts, but don't get stuck there ... learn, treasure what you learn, and keep learning.(Even Wing Tsung teachers recommend ten years in the system to begin to master it.)

Wing Tsung, you will find, depends on the practitioner being at arms length from the opponent. Although that is a close quarters battle position, it becomes difficult to the beginners to see the value of centerline protection we use in Aikido until strikes/kicks find openings. Then suddenly, we have a new class that is simular to centerline protection of Wing Tsung? That is up to your teacher as to how detailed they want your Aikido practice verse fighting skills to go. Remember, Aikido was not to be used for harmful means....

A cousin of my buddie did Wing Tsung for about three years, and we fooled around with "What if" for about ten minutes. Then we came to "Show me", and I showed him two of Wally Jay's jujitsu lessons ... I guess I over did it because he yelped and fell to his knee's with both techniques. (After I began Aikido, I found them there also, but much gentler.) We laughed, and he massaged his arm as we talked about practical applications.

Do not discard what you learn about punching, kicking, centerline protection ... it is expected to be known by a good Aikido student, or at least discovered in practice. Studying other MA will give you greater respect for Aikido with many of your strikes finding meaning within the openings of Aikido techniques will give you.

Play nice, and have fun ... Aikido fun.

Why be verses?
Why not add it to your knowledge?
I have.