View Single Post
Old 04-02-2002, 08:50 AM   #19
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Conflict on the mat ...

Evil ... after my own heart!

I know how difficult it is to be outdone by younger, more skilled technically efficient people who practice Aikido, but that is also their down fall.

If you cannot lessen the intensity of an encounter, then break it off, break it up with laughter, or at least stop to excuse yourself so you can sit.

It took me a long time for me to finally admit that some people needed to be asked to be your friend, or to play nice ... they worked in the European ethic that ones word was not morally bound if some loophole could be found. That is part of the successful business world of today.

Sometimes our lives outside Aikido creep into practice, with competition and promotional consideration ... this should not be the ego of partnered practice, ever!

We are human, so it will happen time to time. If need be, point it out to other teachers, sensei, and let them direct traffic or intercede. There are lessons for all to be learned. Sometimes we see it and learn, or sometimes we become the lessons?

For years I couldn't understand why I thought different from others until my brother suspected my family was interlinked with the Native Americans of Six Nations in New York. Then as we researced I came across this list of Traditional Indian Values verses European Industrial Values as put forth by the American Indian Education Commission. When I read it, I began to understand why I thought different that other successful lieing weasels. Read it and see if many of Aikido ideals are not on the Indian side?

Cooperation vs Competition
Group Emphasis vs Individual Emphasis
Modesty vs Self-Attention
Non-Interference vs Interference
Passive vs Active
Informal Courtesty vs Formal Courtesy
Patience vs Aggressiveness
Generosity/Sharing vs Saving
Non-Materialistic vs Materialistic
Work for Current Need vs Work for Sake of Work
Time/Alway with us vs Time/Use every minute
Orientation/Present vs Orientation/Future
Pragmatic vs Theoretical
Respect for Age vs Respect for Youth
Harmony with Nature vs Conquest over Nature
Religion/Way- life vs Religion/Segment- Life
Spiritual-Mystical vs Skeptical
Non-Verbal vs Verbal
Personal Caution vs Personal Openness
Listening/Observation vs Verbal Skills
Permissive Childrear'g vs Punitive Childrear'g
Indirect Criticism vs Direct Critism
Extended Family vs Nuclear Family
Cultural Pluralist vs Assimalationist
No eye2eye contact vs Eye2eye contact

These are normal day to day obsevations, some change in formal encounters with leaders and speaking, but most ideals for me wound up on the right collumn.

The point?

Recognizing behavior, just like understanding other people is a learned trait.