View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 10:29 AM   #13
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Re: Analytic Anger and Frustration in Training

Nice post, Larry.

Eric, I agree that, at least experientially, there is a difference between the analysis with which we ponder things and the way we respond in the situation - what is called intuition but really to me is a synthesis of all the experiences AND analyses a person has integrated, whether consciously or not.

Re: acceptance = sublimation. I don't necessarily agree. Maybe we are talking apples/oranges here, so if my take is tangential I apologise. The way I think about accepting anger and frustration is the same way you may have read posts from me about chronic pain or fear: Many people automatically objectify these things that are difficult to live with, seeming to breathe their own separate life into them, so that (metaphorically) they seem to stand next to the person. This has the result of setting it up as a tangible something that can be opposed (I'm struggling against it...I'm trying to overcome it...). It also gives enormous power to that anger, fear, whatever.
To me "acceptance"of, say, my anger does not mean "I like being angry and you'd better learn to live with my anger". It means that I understand it is an integral part of me right now, not some external thing for me to struggle against, and that because it is also only one part of who I am, I have a say in how I respond to this part of me.
When I was a teenager I realized that I was angry all the time and that I didn't know what to do with the anger. I was able to start figuring out how to accept living with anger as part of me, and suddenly I wasn't hardly angry anymore....I don't think of it as sublimation, I think of it as learning other responses, learning to be a different person.
To me "acceptance of anger" does not necessarily lead to linear analysis, but it does lead to a calmness that allows more choices, including to engage in linear analysis. Of course, being enraged also can result in linear analysis - but probably with blinders on.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield