View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 10:32 PM   #11
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Analytic Anger and Frustration in Training

Quote:
Mike Logan wrote: View Post
Anger motivates and facilitates analysis, but it also motivates decision making in the realm of argumentum ad verecundiam, or with appeal to authority, not one's own willingness and ability to observe.
Point taken. Demagogues rely on it -- and the article actually dwelt on the authoritative nature of the proposed sources of information.

Quote:
If and when frustration is accepted as it is encountered, wouldn't it sublimate?
I guess the question is about the relationship of them. Does acceptance and sublimation of the anger provoke the analytic instinct (as the study suggest actually letting anger motivate one directly does do), or does it trigger a different process of awareness.

O Sensei said true budo is love. One of the most systematically analytic minds ever produced by Western culture was Alfred North Whitehead. With Bertrand Russell in the Principia Mathematica he proposed foundational axiomatic reasoning so thorough and extensive that it anticipated the problem of Godel's incompleteness theorem. Notwithstanding that devotion to analytic rigor (perhaps because of it) he said the following of the conception of the root of awareness as love :

"Love neither rules, nor is it unmoved; also it is a little oblivious to morals. It does not look to the future; for it finds its reward in the immediate present."

Quote:
I would like to know why the last phrase above [martial awareness is not analytic] in is inarguable, though I think an inkling is slowly coalescing.
It is my opinion, but I have found no good basis to conclude otherwise. Analysis is linear logic. Reality is non-linear, and martial arts worth the name must address concretely real aspects of violent interaction. The process of abstraction into linear concepts unavoidably reduces the reality of the thing analyzed. Martial action relies often on awareness of things that do not become conscious until we have already acted on them. Thus, martial action depends on awareness that is not analytic. Having said that, analysis is a superior means to finds causes of failure and to describe general principles of action.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.