View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 07:36 PM   #9
MikeLogan

United_States
Re: Analytic Anger and Frustration in Training

I like the way Lynn and Tarik have said it. We have to accept our lizard brains. Being intellectual types, humans have physiological responses to things they perceive psychologically.

e.g. Someone parks in my reserved space at work; the gut reaction is a slight against me and mine. My resources in peril places me in peril, and fills me with an urge to defend myself.

my solution to the above is really thick tires and leaving lots of broken glass in that spot, but on we go.

That first article was longer than I will dedicate the mental energy to read, but you reflected the gist of what I encountered. Anger motivates and facilitates analysis, but it also motivates decision making in the realm of argumentum ad verecundiam, or with appeal to authority, not one's own willingness and ability to observe.

Anger is all reaction to the point of self preservation physical, mental, or both as is mostly the case right? It might be a reaction well witnessed and rapidly implemented by the angry, but it is a reaction without a willingness to observe a greater perspective. Who could be angry with enough perspective before them?

Quote:
Erick wrote:
If it should be decreased, does working to sublimate or repress the frustration in training serve the same purpose as provoking it?

Should we deal with it in some other way?

The higher levels of martial action are intuitive and the wu-wei/fudoshin/zanshin action state is not analytic (I think this is inarguable)
If and when frustration is accepted as it is encountered, wouldn't it sublimate? I would like to know why the last phrase above is inarguable, though I think an inkling is slowly coalescing. Half of it suggests to me that those states facilitate analysis on a macro scale, encompassing more than the needs of the lizard brain.
The other half? Perhaps analytical thought that occurs outside a state of anger allows for rapid processing of in-situ stimuli that have already been observed and analyzed at some previous point. Sounds a lot like training. Also sounds a lot like the point of the Wired article you linked here and, I believe, a few weeks ago when I first read it.

michael.

If way to the better there be, it exacts a full look at the worst.

- Thomas Hardy