View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 11:15 AM   #21
Gerardo Torres
United_States
Re: Ten Shinsho Jigen Ryu-combat sword and aiki

(Jennifer, sorry for the thread hijack…)
Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote: View Post
Sources say that Hayashizaki was the name taken by Shigenobu Jinsuke after having his inspiration and honors the location where his inspiration took place. Often you will seen his full name as Hayashizaki Jinsuke Shigenobu.

So when I say Jinsuke-Eishin, I am acknowledging the two men who are thought to stand out the most in the whole lineage going back to the 1500's.

Was this just a confusion of names for you or something more ?
Thanks for your response.
I wasn't confused with the names, just using them interchangeably (i.e. Hayashizaki = Jinsuke).
Quote:
a name is a name is a name.....

call it Shimmei Muso Ryu (what Jinsuke called it)
call it Shin Muso Hayashizaki Ryu (what is immediate followers called it)
call it Hayasizaki Ryu
call it a dozen other different names and permutations
or call it the Jinsuke-Eishin lineage of swordmanship

The history of what influence what isn't a simple discussion.
I understand your point better now. However, for the sake of clarity I submit that Mima Yoichizaemon Kagenobu (founder of Suio Ryu ®) studied Hayashizaki Jinsuke Shigenobu's art c. 1595, therefore he was most likely exposed to Jinsuke's original techniques (or something close to it) without the modifications/additions/influence that Hasegawa Chikaranosuke Eishin introduced six generations later (in mid-1600s?). From a Shin Muso Hayashizaki Ryu or MJER lineage point of view all the different art names you listed might carry similar meaning. But from a Suio Ryu historical perspective I don't think it would be accurate (unless historical sources point me to the contrary) to associate it's founder with the teachings of Hasegawa Chikaranosuke Eishin as the name of the Jinsuke-Eishin line implies. What I am really interested in is Suio Ryu history (reliable information in English is scarce) to help me understand this art and its techniques better, that's what really drew my attention to your comment.

Quote:
Jinsuke-Eishin Ryu is not to me saying the same thing as Eishin Ryu.
Noted.

Again, thanks for your comments.
-Gerardo