View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 08:32 PM   #94
DH
United_States
Re: Parsing ai ki do

Ellis Amdur wrote:
In other words, one controls the other by unifying "heart/mind" - - - - BUT this is not love - (the other "ai"). It means that one achieves such organization within oneself that one can pervasively influence the other in spite of themselves, so that they are "templated" to what your will.
Best

George Writes
Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
This would, in my opinion, be the place at which O-Sensei's "aiki" starts to differ from what he (and others I would guess) believed the more traditional meaning to be.
O-Sensei's spiritual experience caused him to a) identify with "the other" thereby removing the dichotomy of anyone controlling anyone else and b) make accord with the "Will of the Kami" the central focus of ones actions.The Kannagara no Michi or Divine Path is how O-Sensei saw his world. Misogi would purify ones intentions to the point which they were brought into accord with the Will of the Kami. So "aiki" moves from being a set of psycho / physical techniques to cause involuntary reaction in the other to being descriptive of the essential state of connection existing between all things (in which there is no other). Hence the phrase Take Musu Aiki in which the martial technique arises spontaneously from the state of aiki. Or, said another way, the state of aiki gives birth to martial technique.
And this is EXACTLY where my description of unified ki making unifying ki arises. Ellis is exactly correct and so am I. You fail to see where they are the same all while saying exactly the same thing to being descriptive of the essential state of connection existing between all things (in which there is no other). Hence the phrase Take Musu Aiki in which the martial technique arises spontaneously from the state of aiki. Or, said another way, the state of aiki gives birth to martial technique. . The physical state of aiki is resolved in/yo ho- unified ki.
Ueshiba's Aiki was unchanged from all his years in Daito ryu. They remained aiki-no-jutsu. Precisely Daito ryu Aiki.
You have commented on my ability to understand one (the physical) while not being able to understand the other (spiritual). Well, all due respect- I contend it is you who do not understand. How could someone if they do not understand the one (physical) they have no hope of seeing where it in fact creates the other (spiritual) Anyone can of course choose to believe in the spiritual, but it will remain mere concepts and models with correlation twixt the two.

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
This fundamental shift in orientation opens the door for the alternative use of ai = love in the term the aiki. You can see the shift from aiki being a description of technique used to create connection between opponents to a term that describes the connection that already exists and once the ai becomes "love", begins to describe the energetic nature of that connection.

Training then shifts away from discovering how to use the principle of aiki in ones technique to defeat another, towards using technique utilizing the principles of aiki as misogi to bring one into accord with the Will of the Kami.The idea being that in discovering the principles of aiki through training in Aikido technique, one is "templated" to the Divine Will.

This would be my understanding of how O-Sensei's use of the term was different from how it had been used before, even in the parent art of Daito Ryo Aikijutsu.
There is no "aiki as a set of principles and techniques." Those are martial arts. Principles and techniques....are not aiki.
The difference between the two are in the trained body. The internally trained body expresses itself in a retained balance that generates power-in-balance. When you contact it the one in balance has a keen sense of where your weight is , where your intent is and his ability to move his own body in balance becomes highly disruptive to your every intent or action. Thus you become one with him and he is still moving himself. It is powerful expressed this way as a connection in the grappling arts but in an instant it can break bones and generate knockout power.

Ueshiba saw the universal aspects of how one can perfect the dichotomy of energy in oneself and he recognized it and saw it echoed in the greater world, universe what have you.
He chose to demonstrate that in the physical manner that did not cause harm. A distinction that is not as major-as you claim.
Were one to take away his aiki his world vision would not have gone farther than Deguchi's.

The physical and spiritual aspects of aiki are one. They are involved in unifying in/yo in yourself. And THAT is where he saw- as you said- "an accord with the divine will." Once a person has attained aspects of this power, physical attacks on them become rather empty and pointless. The attacker is dealt with by being repulsed, spun away or captured with little harm. The interchange becomes rather pleasant and quite fun to do. The power generation can of course be massive and lead to breaks and knock out power by choice-which oddly enough peacenick Ueshiba did do. What -you- choose to do with the power of a body-in-balance is anyone’s personal choice. It is the reason I admired Ueshiba's vision.
Unified Ki is unifying Ki.
In/yo (Yin yang) is the nature of the world. Takemusu aiki will only come from in/yo ho trained and attained in oneself, by oneself, in solo training. There is a world of training and I'd suspect a whole new path in the paragraph above. But knowing the terminology and readiing the words will not get someone a single step closer to demonstrating it in their body.
Each one has to decide whether to do Ai-ki-do or Aikido. THey are two very different paths

Last edited by DH : 06-03-2007 at 08:43 PM.