View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 06:10 PM   #38
Jonathan
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai
Re: No more Mr. Nice Guy.

George L.:

Thanks for the comments. The event I shared at the beginning of this thread didn't occur at my dojo, but at a seminar in another city.

I run my own dojo and so don't have to fuss with "pissing contests"...much. There have been a few instances over the years, in and out of my dojo, where aikidoka have tested my technique. Fortunately, I can count on one hand all the people who have. Unfortunately, they all got hurt, which is in large part why I'm so reluctant to "stick up for myself."

Nonetheless, there do seem to be times when "tit for tat", as Janet R. puts it, is necessary. I think the trick for me will be deciding exactly when that is. I'm not a temperamental guy, so its not my "default setting" to flash off at some boob trying to make him/herself look good at my expense. I think my present "default setting" is too far on the other end of the spectrum. Really, I guess I'm trying to find a balance in my response to jerks on the mat that hasn't been there. I think being far too nice is, in it's own way, as bad as being far too mean. And so, I'm going to adjust to a more even "setting."

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."