View Single Post
Old 03-29-2002, 05:14 PM   #1
Jonathan
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai
Meeting the challenge.

I have had the misfortune to train with a fellow yudansha who seems compelled to demonstrate at every turn that his technique works and yours doesn't. He also has been very vigorous with mudansha that he thinks have good ukemi, crowding their limits and occasionally causing injury. At one seminar he was giving a hard time to a mudansha who had the good sense to meet this fellow's challenge head-on. The mudansha began to block the yudansha's technique in the same way the yudansha had blocked his. Of course, tempers began to flare. Training between these two rapidly descended into all-out conflict. At one point the mudansha got the yudansha in a headlock and pinned him to the mat. It appeared at this point that the mudansha suddenly realized that he had let things go to far and released the yudansha. He then walked to the edge of the mats to sit down and collect himself. He later apologized to the yudansha.

My question is, did you think this mudansha went too far? Certainly, the yudansha was asking for what happened to him. I find it hard to fault the mudansha for his actions. Do you agree? What would you have done in his shoes?

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."