View Single Post
Old 06-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #28
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: No more Mr. Nice Guy.

Seriously - if we can't use aikiweb to vent where can we. Dealing with the problem doesn't mean we have to be happy about it or not look for other solutions. Good thread topic.

More disturbing to me (in seminars its almost expected) are visitors to your dojo assuming they have something to teach without being asked. Even worse are those that try to impose their training parameters on your club. Besides being totally annoying there are obvious safety concerns.

Both these situations happened to me in my first year of teaching in Quebec and never happened while I was teaching in Japan. I would like to think it was my experience and not the culture and I base that on the fact my students a about 50% non-Japanese and my experienced visitors about 70% non-Japanese. I am still as polite and accommodating as ever (at least I like to think so) and run a pretty relaxed class but perhaps I am more capable of projecting the limitations of patience.

The only real advice I can offer for the dojo situation is practice the "School marm look of death". It works wonders.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido