View Single Post
Old 06-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #115
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

Do you need aikido for this?

For many, the answer would be "no". There are many people in the world that figure things out quite well that have no afinity for aikido, nor do they need it to reach the same point in understanding and application of the principles.

Others though, as is pointed out, possibly do need it. Martial arts in general, started me on a path that altered my life very drastically, aikido certainly fit in there somewhere. It was my original art of karate and my sensei, sempai etc, that had the biggest impact on my life.

Funny thing is this, even though it had the biggest impact, I no longer find it relevant to practice today! Why?

I have matured, moved on, and have found newer perspective that have made it obsolete the way I did it back then. It would seem silly for me to do the kata etc that I used to do today.

However, the seed that it planted, and where it took me was what mattered the most.

Budo and martial arts sometimes work in some very subtle and strange ways that is not recognized externally as being aikido, bjj, or what not!

Sometimes walking way, or being respectful and humble arose out of that small seed.