View Single Post
Old 03-28-2002, 06:44 PM   #9
Chuck.Gordon
United_States
Re: non violence

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Baker

Hi Bruce, mle here.. posting under LOEP's login cuz we share a computer and I'd never find this thread again if he logged out.

Of course Aikido is NON VIOLENT ... O'Sensei took out the violent killing aspects of jujitsu, and budo techniques that allow for killing and injury.
Bruce, you are.. 5th kyu in aikido? Where?
Yes, it all seems pretty mild to you.
I've been REALLY THROWN by decent aikidoka and judoka and jujutsuka, and I assume they were all being nice to me, because I am still breathing and walking around.
I only have a shodan in aikido, but I have also studied kenjutsu (a little), wing tsun, kickboxing and jujutsu.
Oh yeah, and I did judo for a year under an 8th dan Olympic judo coach Zdenek Matl. Softest stuff I ever did.

Read the Article of O'Sensei, and K. Uesheba where O'Sensei specifically tells the interviewer how he changed his practice into what we call Aikido today?
[/quote]

_Aikido_, Kisshomaru Ueshiba:
"Aikido comes into being when the kind of strict training that results from confronting the instant of life and death is used as a stepping stone from which to leap above ones usual level."

Is being attacked with a fist or knife not violence? Is the instant of life and death not, in many definitions, violence?
What if your attacker does not have "good ukemi"? certainly they will be broken.

It is the Law of the Jungle, as Chuck Clark says, a simple law that when the weaker attacks the stronger (tactically, mind you), the stronger must survive, and the weaker must perish.

You are not supposed to learn the actual killing techniques unless you are a warrior pledged to kill, or a defender pledged to protect with your life. This happens when with time, study, and if you live long enough to get past the testosterone of youth?
[/quote]

I'm not sure what you mean by "killing techniques" perhaps you can elaborate?

Heheh. Not much testosterone here. I'm female, and before I get the standard response (from men of a certain generation who learn I have done martial arts for 1/3 my life- 10 years), I am also heterosexual. And feminine.

*testosterone* (which really messes up you head/ just check out any advance study book that basically tells you you control emotion and give up sex.)
[/quote]

FEAR is what messes up your head.
Imagine walking down a dark street at night, downtown. By yourself. Scared?
Now try it as a woman.

If you want violence, go do judo for awhile, with some full contact karate. If you survive, and are intact enough to continue MA, you just might get back to Aikido and have some fun without violence?
[/quote]

*Ahem*
Go do BAD judo for a while and get that.
Bad aikido is like a physical definition of passive-aggressive violence, everyone is ever so much more aiki than thee until you resist and they try to break you with force.
The good stuff in both judo and aikido is like a force of nature, incredibly soft until you hit the mat.

Bruce, I'm not really sure where you're coming from, but your posts strike me as posts of one who hasn't yet really tasted the Good Stuff, and might not notice if you did...

mle