View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 10:34 AM   #48
charyuop
Dojo: Ponca Aikikai
United_States
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

The fact is that BJJ is ground fighting. I have never watched UFC or stuff like that, but I have watched different matches of BJJ in internet to see why people is so attracted to it.

If the fight goes on standing in my humble opinion, of course speaking of even skilled fighters, the Aikidoka would have no problems to defend himslef. But all the matches I have seen every BJJer aims immediately to grab the legs to end the fight on the ground where the Aikidoka has close to 0% chances to win.

Here it not a matter of knowing what Aikido gives you, coz it gives you good tools to fight. The fact is that when the opponent keeps throwing himself at your legs sooner or later he will take you down. You might be lucky and avoid it once, twice, three times, but till when? You might be lucky and get the good timing in entering in irimi on the opponent shoulder and maybe do some damage there or step back or to the side trying to have the BJJer fall down.
What I mean is that you have to find the good timing 100% of the times, while for the BJJer it's enough you miss once and down he brings you. On the ground he will have all the time to find a way to gain victory coz on the ground he won't need to be 100% correct all the time, coz if he makes a mistake on the ground a pure Aikidoka will never be able to take advantage of it.