View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 10:33 PM   #15
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 3

Ron,

I should add something to my last post, quoting Gozo Shioda. I forgot to translate a small sentence in the original and I think this makes a difference to the sense of the whole.

Quote:
「私は打って行こうとしますが、先生には全然スキがありません。なんとか前に出ようとするのですが、先生にクッと剣先を向けられると手も足も金縛りみたいになって、どうに もこうにも動けません。気力で押されてしまうのです。」
"I thought to go forward with uchi, but with Sensei there were no suki at all. When I suddenly aimed the sword tip at Sensei, my hands and feet seemed as if bound with ropes and I could not move in any direction. For I was being 'pushed' with KI-power."
I forgot to translate this sentence in the original: なんとか前に出ようとするのですが、"I Anyway, I thought to move forward and suddenly/purposefully/with an effort...aimed the sword tip at Sensei."

Since Ellis Amdur wrote his AJ blogs Aikido as Three Peaches, I have wondered how Ueshiba differed from, e.g., Sagawa and Akuzawa in how he taught the 'internal' stuff. In this column I stated that the main preoccupation with the uchi-deshi at the Kobukan was to maintain their guard against 'suki', or openings, 24 hours a day. In the dojo this seems to have been accomplished by taking ukemi. In the ken part of Shioda's 9th dan test, O Sensei appears to have given him no opening whatever and Shioda felt he had to move forward anyway. He could not. In the taijutsu part of the test, Shioda felt he had kokoro in spades, but puts this as if O Sensei knew it anyway. He stopped the test because there was a mutual 'reading of minds'. Shioda saw there was an opening and O Sensei knew it, because he himself had given it to him.

I have heard from other shihans that in taking ukemi from O Sensei they had to be extraordinarily sensitive and attuned to his 'mind', as they interpreted this. If they were not, they were rarely called upon.

So the personal training in 'internal' skills was ordered to gaining this sensitivity in ukemi, but it is unclear from Shioda's account whether this worked the other way round: whether becoming sensitive to taking ukemi from O Sensei also led to the acquisition of these 'internal' skills.

Of course, a central question here is whether you and are referring to the same 'tests'.

Best,

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 05-26-2007 at 10:35 PM.

P A Goldsbury