View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 08:37 PM   #128
DonMagee
United_States
Re: "Aikido is for wusses": a response?

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote: View Post
You shouldn't be preoccupied with the wrist grab because there are other grabs studied: Grabs at the elbows, the shoulders, etc. So in theory, you should be able to present anything and when your partner goes for it you have him. Of course, that requires being one step ahead of your oppoent, but the relevant JKD term would be ABD, "attack by drawing" --- you bait him with a target and when he takes the bait, you apply whatever presents itself. Ideally, uke moves, nage moves, and nage does whatever he can with whatever he (or she) gets. But to get there, you do things bassackwards through the prearranged training.

So if you were to try the test again, same mindset but offer .... whatever. I think katate dori is used first because it is simple, straightforward, and the entries are least confusing.

Just my 2p.
I know all about baiting. Its just that I find it easier to do bjj or judo techniques off the bait then aikido techniques. I was explicitly trying to see if people would grab my wrists. When people grab anything else I simply keep moving and an opportunity presents itself or I get tapped out. Drawing people into my game is something I have learned without ever doing kata training for it. In the kata training I have done the techniques already have the setup. Rarely does my instructor talk about what to do to get the setup. Sometimes he will talk about how someone will attempt to counter or escape a technique thus setting up another technique. But usually he leaves that up to be worked out in sparing. Works great so far, most of us do great in competition.

I personally find it hard to learn though contrived movements, It is great for learning a single technique (like an armbar drill), but learning setups and combos that way really doesn't do it for me. I can't work my mind around all the little things that happen and I get very bored. I prefer to drill 3 or 4 related techniques, then drill with positional sparing.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein