Old 03-23-2002, 05:16 PM   #12
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Aikidojo Leiderdorp
Netherlands
Thumbs up Beginners suck???????????????

Quote:
Originally posted by Edward
As a matter of fact, training with beginners sucks.
No, it does not. Sometimes training with those that only show up for advanced classes is really bad as they forgot to lose ego and competition.
Quote:
I am the kind of person who likes training at the highest pace. If at the end of the class, my tongue is not touching the floor, I feel very bad about it and that I didn't train hard enough.
Meaning you now train less than the people that simply show up for all classes and who take every oportunity to learn anything?

BTW, what is this touching the floor with your tongue stuff? We at our dojo just use a mop to clean the mats.
Quote:
I myself avoid beginners' classes because they are so boring. Maybe they are good once every few month to refresh the basics a little, but doing them regularly couldn't be more boring.
Pitty, some beginners might actualy be the partner you needed at that moment to grow in your aikido.
Quote:
I am very much annoyed by beginners attending the regular classes. They slow the whole class down. Teachers reduce the pace and the technical level to cope with them. We have to cope with them too and this brakes the rythm.
I am often annoyed by those that only show up for advanced classes and show to be incapable of training with beginners in a decent way.
Quote:
I am not discouraging beginners to attend higher classes, but one should be logical in life. If your Ukemi is not any good and you still feel confused about basic technics, what's the point of attending more advanced classes?
Well, first of all it is a good way for beginners to experience more advanced aikido. Second, it gives beginners the oportunity to watch, feel and throw advanced students. Third, beginners give advanced students the oportunity to learn how to handle beginners, how to help confussed beginners, how to help sensei by taking responsability in the class by attending to the beginners allowing sensei to focus his attention on advanced students, etc.

Just my privat little rant about attitude.

Last edited by erikmenzel : 03-23-2002 at 05:20 PM.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com