View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 01:57 PM   #49
Aiki1

Dojo: ACE Aikido
United_States
Re: Atemi waza: good or bad for Aikido?

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
Sorry, some of your comments hit my passive-agressive aikido buttons. I do not believe there is any aikido without atemi, and I'm not talking about whacking people with straight punches. I agree completely with the quoted article from Tomiki Sensei on the nature of atemi in aikido. I also don't believe anyone can get kuzushi by allowing uke to volunteer it. I've seen and practiced with a lot of aikido folks who *say* that they're not doing anything to uke, just allowing them to throw themselves, but when they actually have to throw me, they suddenly find it in themselves to actually affect my structure (if they are able to throw me anyway...). I feel that kind of language does a disservice to ones students, and traps them in an overly cooperative artificial training environment. Quite frankly, your videos look very very cooperative on the part of uke. Sounds like you have an interesting and varied training background however, so I'm probably wrong.
I really do understand your point of view. It's always tricky for me to even discuss this stuff, because it's all in the feeling and actuality of it. The language can get confused, the ideas can get distorted.... etc. But in truth, there are ways to be connected to uke such that you don't really do anything To them, but With them. This involves the nature of the connection, movement, and intention. To learn it involves a cooperative training environment, to do it, doesn't. I've practice a Lot with extremely unccoroperative attackers, in fact my students don't actually let me get away with anything - unless I'm simply showing a principle etc., in a teaching situation.) To add, I've had many experienced yudansha come to my class and very few could even throw my white bellts without resorting to trying to hurt them. This, to be honest, includes an instructor from Hombu dojo. We tend to wok with principles that perhaps not everyone does. Not trying to toot my horn here, just being honest. I will add though, that one of the other people I have personally experienced as working in a somewhat similar fashion, comes in part from a Tomiki background, that would be Chuck Clark.

In truth, when people come to see my Aikido, I am well aware that it often looks fake. I don't have a problem with that. I have had the same reaction many many times when they feel it - or not, as the case may be. That is: "Huh, do that again."

We use the principle of what my original teacher termed Kinesthetic Invisibility, where there is no real perceptable physical reference to react against. This goes a long way in "allowing uke to unbalance themselves" - yes, with a little help, but if done right it doesn't take much, and isn't about doing something To them.

I've practiced many different styles of Aikido, including Seagal's when he was teaching every night. There really are many paths. Some do tend ot have different outcomes though.

LN

Last edited by Aiki1 : 04-27-2007 at 02:00 PM.

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido