Re: 90% of all fights go to the ground..
Most people I think have several inate understanding regardless of their formal understanding of fighting or practice in a martial art.
1. Everyone pretty much knows how to use their legs and arms as weapons to use a knife, hit, or kick.
2. Everyone understands that it is good for you to be standing and the other guy to not be standing.
3. The guy that seizes the advantage or element of suprise is the one that can typically most successfully use his arms, legs, or weapon and remain standing.
4 The guy with the most buddies typically is the winner of a empty handed fight.
5. Size does matter...always!
6. Skill and experience help....if you get the chance to use them.