View Single Post
Old 03-20-2002, 12:12 PM   #36
Kat.C
Re: Danger in Aikido

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Baker
I don't think Aikido will pose any problem for you.

Depending on the style of karate you practiced, you will have to resist punching and kicking, accept manipulations as defense when you open yourself/move your body, and don't drag your feet!

Listen to warnings about dragging feet and little hints, most sensei's only say advice twice, then it is up to you to learn?

But, all in all ... sooner or later ... everything you learned in karate will find it's way into Aikido practice, don't be surprise to find old techniques come back like an old friend?

Have fun!
(Aikido allows laughing/smiling too!)
Does aikido have no punches or kicks at all? It will be hard to resist doing that! I practised karate regularily for 3 years even though I was in the dojo for less than 1 and I still practise some of the stuff. I've forgotten most of my kata I only remember my first one. Practised that one a million times I should think. Does aikido have kata? Just curious by the way, I want to do aikido regardless. I've been intrigued by aikido since I was first exposed to the art. I've found it rather funny in a way, that people seem to question the effectiveness of aikido for self defense (this was referred to on a few posts I've read here.) I may come from a karate background but I always thought aikido would be great. From what I've seen of it (little though it's been), it seemed to me that it would be very effective. So it certainly surprised me to hear that others question it. Thanks for all the replies and info everyone, much appreciated.