View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #83
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Aikido
United_States
Re: Aikido vs Brazilian Jujutsu

If you honestly don't care whether or not you can effectively deal with a skilled clinch/ground grappler, then no worries, how tough do you want to be when you grow up? You'll get out of your aikido what you put into it (whether it's meditation, moving Zen, hard training, lots of solo work, intelligent randori, hard sparring, some combination), assuming that you're honest about the results of your training and reasons for training (which can be a hard thing).

If you honestly care how your aikido fares in a sport grappling context, go visit a wrestling/judo/sambo/bjj club and find out (it's fun - I've personally found the bjj guys here to be the most laid back about such things). If you don't care, then don't bother, but if you've got no experience with such things, you might come across as being less than credible if you talk about what "grapplers do" or how "grappling works" (which sort of also can be applied to folks pointing out why body skills in the ki/jin context aren't of value -- not pointing out anyone in particular in any case OR implying any abilities in this, though I do want to experience/learn more).

Either way, my experience has been that, when appropriate, it's good to get out and meet people and have informed opinions based on person-to-person interactions, which can then be shared (appropriately) rather than theoretical discussions based on what you think or suppose. I again thank folks that participate who have experienced differrent stuff (and share their experiences), gone out of their way to meet/train with people that have posted strong views (and again, then share their experiences -- I'm sorry to have missed at least one opportunity that was semi-locally available, unfortunately, one can only be in so many places at one time).

It's just a lot more credible than folks that write (sometimes needing a lot of words to basically say) "Yeah, we do that, too" or "I don't need to do that" when most people aren't really asking them or telling them otherwise (even if that's how it comes across according to the "protest too much" rule-of-thumb).

Personally, I've had nothing but good experiences with the people I've met that also post here.

Last edited by Budd : 04-18-2007 at 08:44 AM. Reason: correction