View Single Post
Old 03-19-2002, 09:53 PM   #32
Greg Jennings
Dojo: None at the moment.
United_States
[quote]Originally posted by MaylandL
[quote]I bet you will come to love the black hole feeling. It's the feeling of a technique done very right. No force, no muscle, just "how the heck did I get here on the mat?".
Quote:

Hello Greg

I can certainly vouch for that kinda feeling having been launched into near geosync orbit by some very capable godan and sandan aikidoka. Its very satisfying to know what it feels like when the technique is done correctly and with power and also knowing that the ukemi was appropriate.

The main thing was that they were skilled enought to guide the uke into the correct position to allow the proper ukemi to be done so that the technique can be done powerfully but safely. That ofcourse assumes that uke is skilled enought to receive properly

It gives me a very tangible benchmark to aspire to when I do my techniques.

Yes having the world dropped out from under me and being sucked into a black hole is very appropo...and a real buzz when you ukemi out of it.

Mind you I have been in situations where I have been lax and complacent in my ukemi with me ending up looking like tatami generously layered with strawberry jam and vegemite .

Much to the disgust of my and much heavy sighing from my sensei. At least I know what Wile e Coyote feels like sometimes
Hi Mayland:

My instructor's aikido is mostly a "straight down" kind of thing. Gravity and momentum combine. With nothing supporting me (I'm way displaced from my center), it's time to "become one with the mat" as we say here. Very "black hole" in a literal way...a black hole being a gravity well.

There are some techniques that we do that are very powerful and, as you say, are only possible because of the combination of nage guiding uke some and uke's ukemi skills.

OTOH, we have a great many techniques that put uke in an extremely awkward position from which graceful ukemi is just about impossible. E.g., I'm nursing sore knees and a very, very bruised wrist from Monday night's class. We did a lot of our version of "the scarf" irimi/kokyu nage. It's different from what you normally see and is terribly awkward for uke.

So, Yah, I can really realate to your "strawberry jam" metaphor right now.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings