View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007, 09:02 PM   #45
DonMagee
United_States
Re: MMA as catalyst for change in Aikido?

You obviously have not done any MMA sparing. It is not light contact. It is not contrived or fake. You can do everything you want to do except for gouge eyes, fish hook, strike the back of the head, strike the groin, and grab less then 3 fingers or toes.

I have trained in aikido, and judo, and boxing, and bjj, and tkd, and krav maga, and a few other things. So I have been on both sides of the fence. I can tell MMA sparing is going to be more real then anything you can contrive in a non-sparing situation. I can also tell you it is nothing like what you are thinking it is. To think the majority of us could even have a prayer at stopping someone at the top levels of MMA is just silly. If we could, we could be making millions and changing the face of martial arts. It is simply not realistic. Unless you are going at him with a gun.

You are young, so it is ok to have dreams. But I think you owe it to yourself to think critically internally as well as externally. If it is so easy, go put it to the test. Speculation solves nothing. I have tried my hardest to utilize aikido and mostly failed. I talk to my aikido instructor, he gives me pointers and ideas, I again play with it. I put my money where my mouth is. If I think something is fake, and I have the means to test it, then I test it. I suggest if you are serious about developing real skill that you consider doing the same.

I agree that aikido is not designed for sparing. However the majority of aikido is legal in MMA. It is no different then judo, bjj, etc in this regard. I think aikido was designed to deal with attacks that were common in an older stricter culture. In situations where the attacker felt he would win in a single blow. This is no longer the case today. That does not mean aikido does not work, it just means making it work is a lot harder. Without that extra effort, it looks like poor juijitsu or bad judo.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein