View Single Post
Old 04-11-2007, 10:53 AM   #43
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: Guns?

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Usually it is difficult for someone to do many things at once. It is hard for him to concentrate on what he is saying, your movement, and listening to you talk all at the same time. Engaging eye contact helps as well as it is another propriception. You have to get him doing a few things. You might move forward while you talk confused, moving while saying "what are you saying? I wanna listen, don't shoot. he says stop, you can say "What"while moving forward...he might come forward a little to stop you since you don't stop. You might say "don't shoot!"move backward...he over compensates...moves forward into the space....
Yeah, we do the same things. We bring up the hands in the classic "surrender" pose but train lifting the hands to be level with the gun. So if the gun is pointed low at the gut the hands go up but not very high. If the gun is at head level the hands are up at head level. That needs to be "natural" looking and a reflexive action so it doesn't look like preparation for an attack. But this gets the hands into a position where you have less distance to move and can react quickly. And non-threateningly closing the distance saying "I give up! Don't shoot. What do you want?". You get eye contact to "lock them on" to your eyes rather than your hands, talk, give them no reason to shoot, tell them you want to do whatever they want, but all the time slowly entering into range to perform the technique. So the hand strike to the gun hand happens as you slide off the firing line in the opposing direction. The idea here is to do this faster than they can react. I have tried this many times focusing on shooting (water gun) the moment I feel nage "change" into the defensive art. If done correctly I can rarely get the "shot" off in time before they're out of the way and already starting to take me down. And I've got formal handgun training.

But done wrong I get them every time.

FWIW we also use red guns of various types. We have semi-automatics, large and small, as well as revolvers, large and small. And one of these days I'm going to take a handful of instructors down to the range and have those guys who've never shot a gun blow off a box of rounds to see what it sounds like, feels like, etc. It makes the point about muzzle flash, how the gun works, what parts move, etc.

Incidentally I saw a guy who taught a typical strip mall karate do a demo with guns. He did one where he did this beautiful spinning kick. I would have shot off his nads if he tried that with me. Another one I know of is a sensei who advocates pulling the gun into your belly to push the slide back a little with your paunch so it won't fire. Great idea, I suppose, if you know for sure what kind of gun they have. Of course the attacker could just pull back on the gun hard as they pull the trigger.

Bottom line is that gun takeaways isn't the time for audience pleasing stupid pet tricks.

Just my individual opinions and they are not meant to be representative of my style, etc. Just my opinions.