View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 01:14 PM   #37
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Internal strength in bowling, fencing, golf, etc.

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
However, rude is rude, arrogance is arrogance, and I know it when I see it...just like kokyu!
I don't know if you saw something I posted about rudeness, respect, etc., Kevin, but let me hit the highlights real quick.

Let's say you go into an MMA school, one that uses the same name and logo as your own school which you value highly because it's a famous and hard-earned name. And in that school you find 4 or 5 teachers who don't even know the basics of the guard, take-downs, etc., but who are doing their own versions of it. These guys all have "belts" and have "been teaching" for 15-20 years. At a common martial arts forum meeting, you run into them and you try to be friendly and mention a couple of basic things that you think they might find interesting. In fact those same basic things are mentioned over and over in the manuals, but they never seem to have encountered them and many think they are "fantasy" and of "no help". They look at each other and say "We never heard of that.... what are you, a trouble-maker?" They tell you that they don't like your style of talking. At that point, are you being rude/arrogant or are they being rude/arrogant?

Of course, in the long run it doesn't matter, because if you're right there's no way these guys can go on forever before their bubble gets popped, since it's a small world. Maybe it's better to wait and see. Imagine if you're right and what's going to happen to the value of the books several of these guys wrote, further on down the line. See the ramifications? It's like an enthralling soap-opera, ain't it?

Regards,

Mike