View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #8
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Internal strength in bowling, fencing, golf, etc.

Arm Wrestling.

This may be an example of what people call external strength. I can see no way possible based on the isolation of things associated with it that you could make this into what many call internal. The arm is basically a lever with muscle attached to it. It is isolated from the hips and any a real ability to "ground" it other than the elbow on the table. It seems to me to be very difficult to carry strength from your hips, to your shoulder, to your forearm, to your wrist and hand.

The best arm wrestlers would have short arms (lever) with thick hands, with BIG muscles!

the endstate though is to within the rules and isolated parameters, to place the back of your opponents hand on the table.

A strong opponent would be unbendable or unmoveable. I might not be able to budge him from that position.

However, if I could get up and move my hips and achieve a better position, then I could move his hand and place it on the table with very little effort.

If he could do the same, then we'd have a different game all together and we'd call it "martial arts".

The guy doing it externally would be straining using his muscles more than the guy that was labled doing it internally. The internal guy would continue to move and gain an advantage using movement and position (internal skills). the guy that used the so-called internal skills would win!

I am curious as to how maybe Rob, Mike or Dan would interpret Arm Wrestling and venture to say how they would see someone that had a greater understanding of internal skills seeing them apply to a game/sport like arm wrestling. Can it apply, or is the parameters so constrained that it would preclude the use of internal skills as they define them?