View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 03:22 PM   #128
MM
United_States
Re: Ki-Aikido or Taiji - effectiveness in developing Qi?

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
I do not mean to imply that I see no value in it. I am saying I don't understand the value in it. A big difference from others I believe that are seeking to say this is crap or something along those lines. There is a difference between seeking to understand vice seeking to discredit.
Hi Kevin,

From a personal perspective that I'm going to put into a "live" environment. I've taken a kick from Dan and from Rob. Both weren't done with full "power" or else I'd be in a cast. This was done in a static environment. I stood there, they kicked. Well, not really kicked as you would probably think of it. It wasn't like a kickboxer kick or a karate kick, but more of a smooth, move the leg, take a step, contact the other person's thigh kind of kick. But, let me say again, what a force. I had no bruise from either Dan or Rob, but my thigh was sore for days.

Now, that's a relaxed, internal kick. Imagine if you're sparring with someone and there isn't any wind-up into the kick like you normally see. Instead it's as if they're just stepping forward, but instead they kick the side of your leg. Down you go.

I've felt the "no inch release" from both Dan and Mike in a static environment and they both knocked me off my feet. Now imagine if you're sparring someone and you clench. Remember, there is no wind up but there's enough power to knock someone backwards. The internal guy lets go with a no inch release and creates an opening, following it up with another hit or kick or take down. Think about that. When you train and clench, can you do a no inch release and knock someone backwards? Or do you have to wind up with a punch? Or worse, use your body muscles to try to shove them away?

That's just two examples from my personal experience. The internal stuff has quite a bit of value in it. Whether you want to invest the time in the training or not ... well, that's a whole different question.

Mark