View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #45
mjhacker

Dojo: Renshinkan
United_States
Re: Poll: How important is working with strong-gripped, "static grabs" in your aikido

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
I suppose that's why I try to make the distinction between a correctly strong grab and a purely muscular stupid one. I assume because we're all martial artists that we're not talking about the stupid kind, but that's not a safe assumption.
I agree that it's not a safe assumption. I can lightly touch someone, exerting the minimum muscular force to maintain the integrity of my structure, yet the effect can feel very "strong" to them. Perhaps we need to define what we mean by "strong" now?

Quote:
You simply will not stumble on this stuff from motion.
Perhaps you didn't, but my experience differs.

Quote:
I've used this example before, but at a nidan exam a few years ago I was struck by how one of the testers was only using his speed and 'slickness' for lack of a better term. Because he was faster than everyone else, they fell down. But he was not actually connecting to anyone.
If speed is required, there's no kuzushi. If you've properly applied kuzushi, you don't have to go fast.

Quote:
That's a simple question with a complicated answer.
It sounds to me like we're at least reading a similar book, if not necessarily working off the same page. The only way to really do this is to feel it. Until what we're talking about has been felt, words won't mean the same thing.

Quote:
Finally, I think a lot of us in aikido often look for the easiest most efficient way to perform a certain task/technique.
I prefer the most difficult way. Not difficult in terms of overcoming muscular resistance, mind you.

Michael Hacker
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Renshinkan
http://renshindojo.com/

自由心流合気武道 - 鍛心館