View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 11:00 AM   #23
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States
Re: Poll: How important is working with strong-gripped, "static grabs" in your aikido

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
I should also clarify that when I read "strong-gripped" I don't think of purely muscled wrist juicers, but of whole body connection grabs that feel strong because they are so hard to move from. This is opposed to the lighter "connection" style grabs that are often done.
My current training is focused very much on trying to perfect this idea of whole body connection, however, I am trying to do it with the lightest touch possible that will still affect my partner's structure.

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote:
O-Sensei often demonstrated by asking his strongest students to try to stop him moving, but quite a few people seem to feel that this isn't a valid training method any more.
If you actually carefully read what I posted, you'll see that I use "strong static centered grips" for the same purpose; "demonstration". Demonstration is NOT training, IMO.

I'm curious, did O-sensei demonstrate this and have the class of students then train this way? I've never heard documentation one way or the other about this.

Quote:
Of course the quality of the grip changes with experience. We also practise nigiri-ho, where tori grips uke, and the more rigid the grip the harder it is to move the partner.
This just doesn't match my personal experience to the extent that i honestly don't comprehend what you're saying. My best guess without experiencing this with you is when you say "the hard it is to move the partner" means that you and I are training two different things. I have been trying to learn to NOT move my partner, but to move myself. No one can grip me tight enough to prevent me from moving and the tighter they grip, when I do move, the more affect it will have on them.

Quote:
Daren SImms wrote:
So because it is not relevant to these sports its not relevant to Aikido?
Daren, I'll have to spend more time composing an intelligent reply to your entire post, but I want to leave you with this thought this morning.

This may be more my shortcoming or limitation, but I cannot imagine a single physical or mental skill that follows the progression of study you're recommending. Even weight training follows an opposite progression of how to learn form and increase one's ability to maintain form under increased stresses.

So, yes, I believe that it's extremely relevant to Aikido.

Regards,

Tarik Ghbeish
MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."