View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007, 10:37 PM   #23
DH
United_States
Re: Internal Power in your Aikido

Thought you guy's might find this interesting and relevant. I don't agree with Jun's view that this has nothing to do with Aikido but I respect his efforts. So I put it here.
I guess this is from an art that has nothing to do with Aikido's "Aiki."
Its from Daito ryu's Aiki. For those that don't know that's just some art Ueshiba trained in..... for twenty years.

".......A seminar was arranged with the help of Horikawa Taiso (Kodo's dad) who had a knack for persuading people and was the one who organized the event. It was this event that Sagawa’s father Konokichi also happened to attend, despite his own age being over fifty. “My father described how Takeda would have people twist his arms behind his back, but all were defeated one after another. My father tried to take Takeda’s legs from out under him. He was promptly crushed by one of Takeda’s knees, almost like he was crushing a frog. He remembered his own demise as being the most unsightly out of all the participants. Takeda also had one person grab the lining on his sleeve, which he said resulted in the person quickly being lifted overhead. Looking on it now, that’s probably an amateur’s take on it. Takeda most likely took advantage of the moment their bodies intersected (ire chigai), smoothly entered and then lifted the person up into the air.”

In any event this was an incredible teacher, so Sagawa’s father created a Dojo in their house that was about 18 tatami mats (30 sq meters) in size, and invited Takeda to live with them. Takeda spent two years at Sagawa’s house. He would practice in the morning and afternoon. Sagawa’s father being the fairly temperamental person he was, often tested his techniques on strongly built workmen at the construction yards. He tried many things, but ultimately decided the techniques were ineffective against a fully resisting opponent unless you possessed Takeda’s “Aiki.”

His father then said to Takeda Soukaku that he “would rather learn Aiki than technique.” Sagawa’s father said at the time that “Takeda’s Aiki is simply mysterious. That skill is definitely one that has been “absorbed” to his body and maybe he is the only one who can do it.” Despite that, time passed and his father received his Kyoujudairi (instructor permit) on March 28, 1914. Sagawa’s father happened to be the Kyojudairi when Yoshida Koutarou (who would later teach the Oyama Kyokushinkai association Daitoryu) brought Ueshiba Morihei to the Kuta Inn. Ueshiba, having already being confident of his skills acted rather arrogant in front of the “country bumpkin martial artists.” So Takeda Sokaku put numerous techniques on him so vigorously that Ueshiba shed tears because of the pain, something that Takeda himself liked to recall. Ueshiba, having experienced Takeda’s skill promptly immersed himself in the study of this Bujutsu. "

Worthy of note are the "trying to take Takeda's legs out from under him, Trying to throw him and twist up his arms." These along with many many other accounts of his life with Judoka and jujutsuka and bandits he killed clearly demonstrated he was not zoned out on mushrooms and farting golden clouds in the garden out back. He and others who trained with him-including Ueshiba- were squarely concerned with "real skills," applicable skills. Not some cooparative playtime of meeting-energies called "aiki." One could easily draw comparisons to Horikawa (Kodo) and Sagawa (Yukioshi) sons of the men mentioned above who in their seventies and eighteirs were throwing Judo men.
Real skills from real men.
Kinda sounds Chinese eh guys?
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 03-26-2007 at 10:51 PM.