View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 06:23 AM   #178
DH
United_States
Re: Dan, Mike, and Aikido

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
My position on this is that the ability to use these skills, at least at a rudimentary level, should be part of ALL Aikido training, right from the start.

As for outside of Aikido, I suspect that these types of skills might be of value just about anywhere but coaches will tune in if it looks like it will provide a performance edge for their athletes. Someone simply has to expose them to the skills and the training methods.
Hi George

All to true. But in the end I think-utterly meaningless. It's still a lively debate as to who is even doing these things. You've seen the reaction AFTER folks felt it up front. Even they aren't interested in discussing it much in detail. all. They saw it, and felt it and were dumfounded by it. And most realized its start-over time.
So we agree that serious debate over these things is probably over-the how-to is what becomes dicey.
First, someone who can impart the skills they know is needed.
Second, someone who will give the time.
Third, a student willing to devote countless hours of alone time working.
So in the end few- Mikes 2% suggestion- will likely achieve good results.
Everyone wants it described and spelled out for them here. While the ways and ideals can be spoken in a few paragraphs, there is little point. Even single sentences can take years of effort. The work takes much concentration and inglorious alone time. For most the wisest choice would be to stop practice for years to rebuild, rewire. Few will.
It has long been spoken, long been written and recorded that few did achieve it. Everywhere it's mentioned it is likewise mentioned as a rarity. Again I am reminded of the story in the "fighting spirit of Japan" when after gifting a large cash donation to the Kodokan a Judo man is given a "gift" in return by being brought an Aikijujtsu master. He was likewise dumbfounded by the skills. He asked the Aikijujutsu master about these skills (this was early twentieth century Japan) "Who knows them?" "Where are they taught?" His reply was that few know these things anymore. They are not openly taught. If it was that way in the country of their origin a hundred years ago-we shouldn't be surprised at their rarity today.

Then you have the guys, the masters, comparing levels. Like the older Sagawa testing the 68 year old Ueshiba and stopping him dead. One master to another. Same skills different levels of development.

Here's a bit of a change of subject
I've often wondered why the masters of this stuff were all said to ab a bit wierd. Were they wierd before hand? Self absorbed, odd ducks? Or did the hours and hours of work, and failure, then these "masters in the making" the facing all the other budo-johnies so ill equiped to face THEM that gave them a bit of low opinion of others efforts? A little research shows the personaliteis of many of the known masters was a litany of strange behaviour.
I know my comment can offer some comical comebacks, but it is interesting when you read story after story.
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 03-22-2007 at 06:37 AM.