View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 05:05 PM   #177
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States
Re: Dan, Mike, and Aikido

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
As for outside of Aikido, I suspect that these types of skills might be of value just about anywhere but coaches will tune in if it looks like it will provide a performance edge for their athletes. Someone simply has to expose them to the skills and the training methods.
You know, when I started Aikido I was always told "extend ki" and I understood that I was being asked to perform a specific action that I did not yet grasp. Each time I did the exercises I came a little closer to actually grasping them, but it wasn't really sticking.

Then another aikidoist who was pretty good at extending ki saw me playing bass. He pointed out that my ki was extended the whole time I was playing.

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!!!!!

Okay, no, I didn't have an instant epiphany and master ki extension at a single stroke, but it made a huge difference in my training because I had a frame of reference.

FWIW: I've decided that "mastery" is a pretty slippery concept. Every time I become able to do the things some of my teachers did all those years ago (that I saw as evidence of mastery at the time) I realize that I still have a long way to go to mastery. The upshot is that I can extend ki - or whatever you want to call it - way better than I did then, but I still find places where these skills need work.