Old 03-21-2007, 11:37 AM   #44
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: Ki, Aiki, Aikido. The 'internal stuff' that never left Aikido

Ron asks:

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
1) are the exercises taught with hands on correction from the point of view of aligning the structure to best aid in the correct development of the internal connection and power skills.

2) is the logic of building these skills taught and understood clearly and methodically.

3) are these two items above wide spread.
Been thinking about these. Computer is finished running the numbers and I'm off to go and get beaten about the head with bamboo sticks. But before I go, I'm gonna take a stab at answering these. Do Mike and Dan et al want to answer them too? It'd be a really good set of opinions on a really good set of questions I think. Worth adding to the mix.

1) Yes. At least that's the way I teach and am taught them.

2) Yes. At least that's the way I teach and am taught them.

3) No. Which is what it's all about I suppose. Dan and Mike et al. often say that you have to come to them and 'feel it' or something similar, they may be entirely right that this is the best and only effective way to make these things sink in in a lot of peoples training. On the other hand, have they tried going to large seminars and seeing what they are able to achieve by teaching in this sort of environment? I think it would be an interesting exercise to have them do that.

Regards

Mike

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr