View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 10:02 AM   #39
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: Ki, Aiki, Aikido. The 'internal stuff' that never left Aikido

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Actually.... and I've personally seen them both..... Akuzawa's exercises are radically different from the Ki Society's approach. And I say that while not commenting on the efficacy of either method or exactly what each is focused on (they actually focus on 2 different things, too, but that seems to be a discussion better suited for a forum that focuses on body-mechanics).

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Fair enough. My comments were only based on a few videos so feel free to correct me, it'd be interesting to compare and contrast methodologies of teaching. I only know that they look similar enough to the way I do things on a regular basis to be considered if not the same then close enough to being about the same principles and uses of the body and mind. Classification of this kind however is a road to madness, I spent a year studying taxonomy and I can vouch for the pointlessness of trying to label things with any great degree of precision. Rough approximate labels tend to be more useful in most cases than those containing masses of minutiae (in my experience of course)

Mike

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr