View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 03:54 AM   #28
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: Ki, Aiki, Aikido. The 'internal stuff' that never left Aikido

Quote:
Kevin Wilbanks wrote: View Post
Being a skeptical, analytical person, I have always objected to this kind of hyperbole in Aikido instruction and coaching.
That is how you prefer your teaching to be given to you. It is not hyperbole. It is terminology. Science has it's own language and terminology too. Such scientific language has a purpose when used in scientific publications but it is positively unhelpful in most aikido teaching situations. Unless of course you are teaching aikido to a group comprised entirely of scientists in which case you can commit monolithic dual avicide by engaging in science (i.e. teaching physiology) and teaching aikido concurrently.....

I think that picking apart the jargon instead of the exercise is unhelpful and, to an extent, petty. All things have their own jargonese associated with them. Including science and aikido.
Jargon is used by the group that created it in order to give the best tools for communicating principles. Think about it like this. If you've seen the film 'The Last Samurai' how many times did you hear a 'sshiiing' sound as a sword was drawn? All the time. Katana do not make these sounds when drawn. Likewise, horses to not make whinnying noises in the sorts of situations that you hear them make them in that film. But, reality is not the aim of the foley artist is it? Their aim is to convey an impression, a feeling of what's going on. Sometimes they tell little lies to do it because it can actually be helpful in communicating a bigger picture.

Mike (who needs to unsubscribe himself from this thread and get work done...) Haft

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr