View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #64
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Dan, Mike, and Aikido

Quote:
Dirk Hanss wrote: View Post
OK, I set the rules: None, but the only tool is a live blade (katana).
Could be interesting, but I guess all the shihan would survive.
8 because choose, not to enter as they neither want to kill or to be killed. And two might enter, but probably your 2 best mma fighters will would withdraw.

Then all 20 survived. What is your view on that result?

Cheers Dirk
Thanks Dirk.
For Stan: This an eternally pointless debate. It is neither about budo or bujutsu. Those are about war. " "War means fighting, and fighting means killing." This discussion is about play and sport, because it is most definitely not about life and death.

Saotome is reputed to have said once, pointing to his head:

"This is your trophy. You win, you keep your head."

I began Aikido under someone who was trained to kill for a living. He came to aikido at a critical point in his life. He described aikido to me as just as deadly serious on the life or death scale, but on the side of life -- O Sensei's "true budo." That stuck with me. I entered the killing profession myself. I found that I had to wrap my brain and heart around the problem of death and killing. I came to the same conclusion, and have continued in aikido with that intent.

You want to win in real fighting, well -- here ya go:

Quote:
WIlliam Tecumseh Sherman wrote:
I confess, without shame, that I am sick and tired of fighting—its glory is all moonshine; even success the most brilliant is over dead and mangled bodies, with the anguish and lamentations of distant families, appealing to me for sons, husbands, and fathers ... it is only those who have never heard a shot, never heard the shriek and groans of the wounded and lacerated ... that cry aloud for more blood, more vengeance, more desolation.
There is the problem O Sensei sought to solve -- through true budo.

If you just want to win a real fight, have a shotgun handy -- its quicker and less finicky. You may find, if you dwell on this point very seriously, that you do not like even imagining victory found in real fighting. If you find that you do like it -- well, we have places to help you with that, too.

"True victory -- self-victory. Come swiftly, O Day of Victory."

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.