View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 04:18 PM   #98
Josh Reyer

Japan
Re: Dan, Mike, and Aikido

Quote:
Mike Haft wrote: View Post
As to the rest, as I said in my other post, my teacher has often said that these things are for Doshu to do. I agree with him too, it is the job of the leader of the way to lead. If the Aikikai hasn't listened to these things for the last 35 years what makes anyone think they'll start listening now?
Well, for one thing "Doshu" doesn't mean "leader of the way", and his job is not necessarily to lead. "Doshu" basically means "owner of the way". "Master of the Way" in the same sense as "master of the house". The nuance of the word is that he is at the center of the Way. In other words, his office is largely symbolic, and administerial. It's fairly obvious that Doshu does not set policy, at least not by himself beyond his own dojo. Looking to Doshu to make sure ki and aiki skills are properly transmitted is not likely to be a fruitful endeavor. Particularly when his own skills in this area are in doubt.

Quote:
As I said before this basically is just one more in a long series of Ki wars. Been done, many many many times before now.
And so, what's the problem? Let Mike, Dan, and others fight the ki war. Let them take the heat for bluntly saying the things that may need saying.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer